Professional Qualifications - Title 1
Parents of children in schools that receive Title I, Part A funding have the right to request and receive information about the professional qualifications of teachers and instructional paraprofessionals in their building and must include at a minimum, the following:
Highly Qualified Teachers
- Whether the teacher met state qualifications and certification requirements for the grade level and subject(s) he/she is teaching,
- Whether the teacher received an emergency or conditional certificate through which state qualifications were waived, and
- What undergraduate and graduate degree(s) the teacher holds, including graduate certificates and additional degrees, and major(s) or area(s) of concentration.
If the child is provided services by an instructional paraprofessional, parents have the right to receive or request information about his/her professional qualifications. A paraprofessional sometimes is called an instructional assistant. The instructional paraprofessional is employed by the district and assigned to a classroom(s). He/she provides additional teaching assistance supporting the instruction given by the classroom teacher(s).
All instructional paraprofessionals who are performing instructional duties and are funded with Title I, Part A funds, and all instructional paraprofessionals performing instructional duties in a Title I, Part
A schoolwide building, must meet specific requirements:
- Completed at least two years of study at an institution of higher education; or
- Obtained an associate’s or higher degree; or
- Meet a high standard of quality either through:
- The ETS ParaPro Assessment, or
- An approved Washington State Paraeducator Apprenticeship Program.
Notification if the child’s teacher is not highly qualified
Parents must receive a timely notice that their child has been assigned, or has been taught for more than four consecutive weeks by a teacher of a core academic subject who is not highly qualified. Learn more about teacher and instructional paraprofessional requirements
online at: www.k12.wa.us/TitleIIA/